Saturday, February 2, 2008

Is Bill Cosby set to release a Rap record?

According to AllHipHop.com Comedian/Actor/Social Activist Bill Cosby is going to release a new Rap album. I think it's great that Bill heard about the record industry's recent failings and wanted to do his part to keep another great U.S. industry afloat. I'm going to avoid all of the obvious stabs we could take at Bill over this one, because I respect the man. Mr. Cosby has been very vocal about a culture which he feels is eroding the youth. In the name of full disclosure I am a huge Hip-Hop fan, my tastes rest in 90's Hip-Hop like Tribe, De La, Hyro, Pharside or todays under grown like MF Doom, El-P, Cage, RJ-D2 and others. But Bill seems one of the few celebrities today who is not content to just sit and complain about social issues, but get of his bum and champion his cause. That being said, I think this album will be horrible. I don't think Mr. Cosby truly understands what makes for a good or even decent Rap album, than again I don't think any of todays Studio exces or even todays radio rappers do either.

If you want to get an idea of what this album will sound like check out this jam session from 1969 with Bill Cosby and Quincy Jones





And Here's a clip from Cosby on Meet the Press speaking about his issues with "gangster rap"



A lot of people take issue with Cosby's view on the subject, but I haven't here an educated rebutal on his issues, the closest thing to a counter point would be Chuck D, but it's obvious they seem to agree on many of the problems, just have different ideas on their causes.

No comments: