Thursday, January 24, 2008

David Simon apologises to the City of Baltimore and tells of a confrontation with O'Malley


In a "web extra editorial" (sounds like a blog to me) Today on Baltimoremagazine.net, David Simon tells of a short standoff between him and then Mayor Martin O'Malley. Simon speaks of some regret if he had damaged the city's reputation, stating "We put our town’s shit in the street. And for that and that alone we ask apology for the premeditated trespass: Sorry for that."

Read it in his words HERE


For more on O'Malley check HERE or HERE


I will say as a native West Baltimorean (I say I'm a Baltimoron, but don't use the term if your not from Baltimore) I want to say thank you. I know David Simon reads many a blog but I'm not arrogant enough to suggest he reads this one, but none the less I want to say Thanks. Thanks for validating us people in a city with problems, but people none the less. When I was 12 years old I would walk up to the 7-11 at the corner of Edmonson and Swan to buy my comic books, often I would be greeted by a man who introduced himself only to me as Iceman. Iceman would walk with me whenever he saw me in the "Village" to protect me warding away "vendors" trying to sell me a bootleg or women who claimed to "know my moma" wanting me to give them my cash then they could buy my soda or bag of chips with their Independence Card (or food stamps I can't remember which it was at the time). Iceman would for some reason call me Julio, I guess it ran along the lines of him trying to protect me, see I have a dangerous condition for a 12 year old in Edmonson Village, I was, and still am a short, fat, white guy. When I saw the Wire for the first time I, like most Baltimoreans felt validated, mostly because we can't even get people in our own state, let alone the country to even pretend to care. The Wire if nothing else acknowledges our presence and struggle as a city to deal with modern day problems using twenty year old methods. I will always be a knucklehead from Baldimore who thanks David Simon, if for nothing else then using a little sun light to disinfect our dirty laundry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the wire but I don't understand why Simon is getting slamed by the papers this year, is the news indrustry really that worried about a little fictonal scrutunity?