Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hollywood Strike, Bad for TV, Bad for Movies, good for Comic Books?

If you haven't herd of the foreboding Hollywood writers strike, let me give you my synopsis and analysis. If I'm way off base, please set me straight in the comments. The Hollywood writers currently aren't getting any revenue off digital media, (i.e itunes, the internet, etc...) and they want some. They also feel like they deserve more revenue from DVD sales and I think they want a disclaimer anytime they have to write in product placement. There's more too, but I'm having a tough time finding what else. Well, the Studios disagree, and if there is not an agreement by the end of this month the writers will walk out.

The last time writers picked up to picket, was in 1988 and lasted for 22 weeks. It had, what most agree, turned out to be inevitably bad for both sides. News magazine shows like 48 Hours gained in popularity while some shows like Moonlighting never regained their feet. David Letterman tried writing his own jokes, including his top ten list for awhile, so I'm actually excited to see what the late night crowd will do, this could separate the funny men from the funny boys and propel one or two talk show hosts to a clear favorite.

I think this strike will be very bad for good television. Scripted shows, documentaries and games shows, are the only television I enjoy, with the exception of Who Wants to be a Superhero? I fear a prime time world with even more Idol and Survivor spinoffs. Or possibly we'll see new episodes of old favorites like Elimidate or Who wants to marry a millionaire? and by favorites, I mean shows I never want to see again.

The effect on Movies could range anywhere from slight delays and annoyances, to profound and expensive, depending on how long the strike lasts.

In my opinion the writers have some very valid claims. I think as long as the studio is making a profit on the writers work, the writer should receive a cut, no matter how it's distributed. I for one love to time shift and watch my favorite shows online. I frequent NBC.com to watch Heroes, Chuck, 30 Rock, My Name is Earl and The Office whenever I miss an episode (BTW NBC 30 Rock and Chuck weren't working on last weeks episodes, so get on that!) I don't mind the adds, I know people should get paid for their work, but pay everybody who worked on it. As far as the disclaimer, I think the writers should let that go. With digital media too often pirated it may be the only way to ensure that sponsors product will be seen. The could add a disclaimer when the writers aren't forced to write product placement in, use it a selling point. "No adds were written in during the filming of this motion picture." Get the same guy to voice it as the PETA disclaimer.

My only hope is that if the writers do strike for long, they will earn their money by writing comic books. Jeph Loeb could introduce many a good TV writer to the DC universe and I'm sure a letter of recommendation from Neil Gaiman could land some solid stories at any comic company (and please please please for the love of all things holy somebody get Frank Miller off All Star Batman, come on man, WTF!?)

So Long Story Short,
The Strike is...

Very Bad For TV!
Bad For Movies?
Good For Comic Books?
We shall see...

No comments: